2018 High School Research Internships
Each year we offer paid internships for senior high school students during March break and the summer. These highly competitive positions are awarded to students who are interested in pursuing careers in research and who have clearly demonstrated an interest in science.
2018 Summer Internships
Goals of the Program
The Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute (LTRI) of Mount Sinai Hospital, a University of Toronto affiliated research centre, was established in 1985. It is one of the world’s leading centres in biomedical research.
The research programs at the Lunenfeld focus on understanding the function of our genes and how genetic pathways lead to the development of human diseases such as cancer, diabetes, hypertension, premature labour, depression and osteoporosis. This unique approach at the Lunenfeld allows for the application of biomedical research to span from molecules to populations.
The Institute is committed to excellence in biomedical research and to the training of the next generation of scientists. To that end, we are offering a summer internship program to expose high school students to the exciting world of scientific research. The student will experience first hand the activities of a laboratory setting and the day to day events involved in a scientific career.
- Students must have successfully completed, at the minimum, Grade 11 Biology and Chemistry courses and be 16 years old by the start of the internship
- Students selected by the LTRI Research Training Centre (RTC) will be interviewed by the supervising researcher
- Successful candidates will be chosen and notified by May 18th, 2018
How to Apply
To apply to the program please provide:
– a 500 word essay outlining why you should be chosen to participate in this program; why you’re passionate about science; and your post-secondary and career plans for the future.
– an up-to-date resume, including permanent address
– a copy of your school transcript
– one reference letter from a teacher who is familiar with your academic abilities
- Reference letters can be uploaded or emailed directly to email@example.com
– upload your completed application online
- APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY MONDAY April 16th, 2018 (by 6PM). Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- Students will be expected to complete an eight (8) week period of employment (July – August)
- Students will be expected to work full-time hours.
- Students will be paid $4300 for an eight (8) week period.
- The student will be required to work on a project in the laboratory, which will be assigned by the Research Faculty member they are hired by
- The student will be supervised by a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory
- Students will be expected to attend weekly presentations given by Faculty on current research being conducted at the Institute.
***PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED***